- 07-May-2014 to 02-Aug-2014 (EST)
- Business Affairs
- NY, USA
- Full Time
Vice President for Business Affairs and Treasurer
Daemen College is conducting a national search for a Vice President for Business Affairs and Treasurer, precipitated by the retirement of its current, outstanding Vice President after 30 years of exemplary service to the College.
This is a unique opportunity for a proven executive to partner with Daemen College's President, and the other vice presidents who comprise the senior leadership team, to provide visionary financial and administrative leadership in support of the core activities of the College. As the College's Vice President for Business Affairs and Treasurer, the successful candidate will be responsible for the planning, integration, and control of all of the College's financial resources, with special emphasis on the development of appropriate strategies to carry out key components of the Daemen College strategic plan.
The Vice President for Business Affairs and Treasurer will serve as the chief financial officer responsible for the financial integrity of the College and will also provide stewardship over facilities operations, financial aid, human resources, information resources management, and related services.
More specifically, the Vice President for Business Affairs and Treasurer provides leadership and oversight for all aspects of the College's financial administration, including financial and related planning; operating and capital budgeting; revenue and expenditure analysis, forecasting and projection; financial and management reporting; payroll and procurement; investments and risk management; as well as accounting compliance obligations and the annual audit of College funds.
The Vice President will be expected to collaborate closely with the divisions of Academic Affairs, Enrollment Management, and Student Affairs; develop a close working partnership with the Board of Trustees through its business affairs subcommittee; and maintain appropriate financial strategies to ensure the delivery of the College's strategic vision.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Vice President for Business Affairs and Treasurer will
- Serve as a member of the President's Cabinet
- Provide recommendations on College-wide strategic initiatives and assure that Business Affairs provides full support for all approved initiatives
- Lead the College budgetary forecasting modeling by building in assumptions about demographics, tuition trends, and changes in College and governmental policy
- Plan and develop the College's basic system of accounting and financial control
- Safeguard all monies and securities of the College, and manage the endowment and all other investments of the College, as directed by the Board of Trustees
- Supervise the collection of the income and revenues of the College, and make payment from its funds to meet the College's various financial obligations
- Monitor the College's insurance program, including responsibility for employee benefits including, but not limited to negotiation and evaluation of health and disability insurance
- Responsibility for employee benefits including, but not limited to negotiation and evaluation of health & disability insurance
- Responsible for overseeing the administration of the employee retirement plan and for working as part of the Daemen Retirement Plan Investment Committee to oversee investment performance and options
- Submit financial reports to the President and the Board of Trustees as requested
- Arrange for an annual audit of the accounts and books of the College by a Certified Public Accounting firm
- At the beginning of the Spring semester, request from all officers and departments of the College their budget requests for the subsequent fiscal year and the data upon which they are based
- Compile and coordinate the data necessary for making the budget and prepare a preliminary budget for submittal to the President for presentation to the Board of Trustees at the May or June meeting
- Revise projections of income and expenses after the Fall semester enrollment is stabilized, and prepare the definitive budget for submittal to the President for presentation to the Board of Trustees at the September or October meeting
- Maintain and supervise an exceptional system of central purchasing
- Periodically obtain competitive proposals for all major contractual services at the College
- Coordinate all construction, renovation, and restoration projects on campus
- Supervise the operations of auxiliary enterprises, personnel, and the maintenance of buildings and grounds
- An advanced degree in business administration, finance, accounting, or related field from an accredited college or university (designation as a certified public accountant, certified management accountant, or equivalent credential is a plus but not required)
- Ten years of directly related experience in progressively responsible business/financial-level management, with five years at a senior level position
- Comprehensive knowledge of the operation and administration of an institution of higher education or highly complex business organization
- Knowledge of current literature, financial challenges, and trends within higher education
- Knowledge of capital planning and construction principles and methods
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with other divisions within an institution of higher education or similar organization
- Demonstrated strategic and master planning ability
- Possession of strong written and oral communication skills
- Demonstration of interest in and eagerness to advance the purposes of higher education and ability to lead and manage the College's financial operations in an environments of rapid change and institutional growth
- An established record of openness and transparency in decision-making and working with faculty, staff, students, and Board of Trustees members in a context of collaboration
- A capacity to foster and maintain an environment that encourages integrity, productivity, entrepreneurship, and the integration of business affairs with other campus areas
- Demonstrated proficiency in using financial systems and related technology
- Ability to effectively communicate the mission, opportunities, and challenges to internal and external constituencies, including but not limited to the Town of Amherst
The position is a full-time, 12-month position. The Candidate must be available for weekend and evening functions, meetings, and related College activities as needed.
The salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.
The Vice President for Business Affairs and Treasurer Search Committee shall accept applications electronically, through the Search Committee website (daemen.edu/VPBATsearch ) under the "President's Welcome". A "Vice President for Business Affairs" link to the Daemen College Human Resources website is included within this the Search site (http://daemen.applicantpro.com) The Search Committee will review applications until the position is filled. Initial review of applications will begin May 1, 2014. Applications received by July 1 will receive expedited attention. Please direct questions regarding this recruitment to Mr. Bobby Mills, VPBA Search Chair: firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply please send (a) a cover letter to accompany the formal application, addressing the candidate's qualifications, experiences, and vision for this position; (b) a comprehensive vita; (c) current contact information for at least three (3) professional references; and (d) a writing sample that reflects a recent communication related to his or her work at the candidate's latest employment venue.
Daemen College is a private, nonsectarian, co-educational, comprehensive college of approximately 3,000 students in Amherst, New York, and is chartered to award both undergraduate and graduate degrees. Located in a safe and attractive suburban setting, Daemen offers convenient access to one of the country's most vibrant regions, spanning Buffalo-Niagara, the Great Lakes, and a cross-border corridor with Ontario, Canada, less than a two-hour drive from cosmopolitan Toronto. Daemen has a diverse student population that represents its deep roots in Western New York but also a remarkable sector of international students, minority students (18% of the student population), and first-generation college students.
Daemen College offers over 40 undergraduate majors, and 50 student organizations thrive on the campus in Amherst. The College offers graduate programs in Arts Administration; Athletic Training; Education; Executive Leadership and Change; Global Business; Nursing; Physical Therapy; and Physician Assistant Studies.
ABOUT AMHERST, NEW YORK:
Amherst is situated in one of the nation's safest neighborhoods, in the suburbs of Buffalo, New York. The Colleges location in Western New York provides our students with access to one of the art and cultural centers of the State of New York; easy access to the beautiful Finger Lakes Region; and a thirty-minute drive to Canada. Amherst and the adjacent communities surrounding the College provide some of the best schools in the State and access to extraordinary health care services and providers.
Daemen College is an AA/EOE and strongly encourages applications from women, veterans, people of color, individuals with disabilities and candidates who will contribute to and support the cultural fluency and diversity of our campus.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings
Sign Up For Job Alerts!